One of the delicious recipes that it is uniqueness of Persian food is Sholezard. This kind of desert is a Persian rice pudding and Iranian people cook it specifically in some special religious ceremony. The main ingredient made this yellow rice pudding, as a unique recipe in terms of smell and color is saffron which is a popular spice used in Persian dishes.
- 2 cups (470 ml) of rice
- 6-8 (1.4-1.9 l)cups of water
- 4 cups (950 ml) of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of saffron
- 3 tablespoons of hot water
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) of butter
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) of rosewater
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- (Optional) 1/4 cup (59 ml) of almonds, slivered
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons of pistachios, slivered or chopped
- Rinse rice in cold water.
- Place rice and water mixture in pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender: When cooking, skim the top occasionally. Add the sugar while you continue to stir constantly and boil gently. The mixture will thicken, like custard, and you will no longer be able to see the grains of rice.
- Dissolve the saffron in another small bowl or a cup in the hot water and add to the pot.
- Melt butter and stir in.
- Stir in rosewater and slivered almonds
- Stir over medium or low heat until mixture becomes thick.
- Pour the mixture into a separate bowl, sprinkle the cinnamon and optional toppings on the mixture.
- Cool before serving.